You are currently browsing the Osteoarthritis Blog blog archives for the day Sunday, November 20th, 2011.

Support and Brace Support and Brace

Calendar

November 2011
M T W T F S S
« Oct   Dec »
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  

Archive for November 20th, 2011

Arthritis Exercises

November 20, 2011
Joint Cartilage

Joint Cartilage

 

Why does your doctor recommend exercise as a treatment option for your knee osteoarthritis?

Imagine the joint cartilage in your knee as a sponge on your kitchen sink.  When you are young the sponge is brand new and able to absorb large quantities of water.  Now think about the sponge on your sink that is well-used – it doesn’t absorb as much water as it used to, right?

Your knee is the same way.  Joint cartilage is 90% water.  The purpose of the other 10% is to retain that water to provide a cushion.  By bending your joint (exercising) what you are doing is forcing the sponge inside your knee to absorb and release water.  This keeps the cartilage hydrated and healthy.

Think about the forgotten sponge under the sink.  It is dry, brittle and sad.  It crumbles in your hands.  Exercise will help keep your knee joints lubricated and happy.